I am currently preparing a huge update of Sulaco and I’m gathering pieces from multiple stores. I now have everything besides memory (modules that I want are very hard to find in France right now) and hard drives. Well, I actually bought hard drives but got a problem.
Two days ago, I saw a video on Youtube about a guy who ordered HDDs and found out by looking at the S.M.A.R.T. data (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) that those drives had been used before, refurbished and sold to him. I decided to have a look at my brand new sealed drives, just to be sure.
I’m totally paranoid about data and hard drives, had 3 crashes already, regularly do backup of everything and since I’m planning on doing raid 0, I want to avoid any risk of failure. Turned out both drives had a power on count and power on hours. I looked closely at the anti static bag and noticed that it looked like it was cut by hand and manually thermo-glued. The original label of the bag had been removed and a new one was places over it. Didn’t really look like something that came out of the factory.
I went back to the store and got replacements for both drives, back home, tested them again, same problem. I had a look at the partitioning and noticed a strange 350 GB unformatted partition. I contacted Seagate with serial numbers and turns out those were OEM drives with no warranty. OEM drives are supposed to be sold to companies for system integration and it’s illegal to sell them as bulk drives. I have no idea when they were first turned on, who used them, why they were removed from their original devices or how many transportations they went through. Back to the store today and asked for refund.
I don’t know if this issue comes from the store or from Seagate but I’ll probably be more careful about where I buy my hardware next time and I advice everybody to SMART test new drives and contact the manufacturer with the serial number in case anything looks weird.
Update: “New” Hard Drives 2